30 December 2012

On Twitter today I saw someone reference this New York Times article about church plants. In glancing at the headline, "Building Congregations Around Art Galleries and Cafes as Spirituality Wanes," I automatically read everything but the last verb as a noun phrase referring to a Christian-culture practice which was very cool in, I don't know, 2004-2009ish, but which now seems to me obviously to be waning. In other words, I assumed the story was"Building-Congregations-Around-Art-Galleries-and-Cafes-as-Spirituality" Wanes. Not all that well phrased, but yes, timely cultural analysis.

But as I began to read the article I realized, no, the New York Times is just hearing about all this now.  They think spirituality is what's on the way out, and that in response, as 2013 arrives, there is a new trend beginning of Christian communities creating ministry contexts that don't look like 1950s "church." Um, wow.

No comments: